You’ve already gone through a lot of struggles — physically, mentally and emotionally. Filling your days with healthy and fun activities makes your life richer and more fulfilling while helping you stay on the path of long-term recovery. Beachway is pleased to offer a number of different recreational therapy activities during your stay at our facility and also as part of our Aftercare and Alumni programs.
Why Recreational Therapy Activities are Vital to Long-Term Success
Prior to entering alcohol or drug rehab or detox, the lives of many patients likely revolved around substance use. During the early stages of addiction recovery, many are left with a sense of emptiness and even boredom. Adjusting to a sober life can be difficult without any healthy, fun activities to fill the days.
Here are a few ways recreational therapy activities can help you achieve long-term success:
- Developing healthy habits. Many people with substance abuse problems need help with developing routines and habits that nourish the body, mind, and soul. Participating in regular classes such as yoga, or simply going for nature walks introduces positive, enjoyable ways to spend time sober.
- Getting involved. Sitting at home watching T.V. for hours is not a productive (or healthy) way to spend the day. Recreational activities can help get you out of the house and into the community.
- Developing healthy friendships. Participating in recreational activities is a great way to meet new people and foster a circle of friends who are likely going through similar challenges and adjustments as you are. Without the companionship of positive friendships, many are tempted to turn back to their old circle of friends and revert back to past harmful behaviors.
How Physical Activity Helps Recovering Addicts
Getting physically fit is a crucial part of successful recovery. Beachway’s nutrition and fitness experts help you repair your body after substance abuse by introducing healthy foods and a fitness plan.
- Set goals. Whether your goal is to hit the gym three times a week or avoid junk foods, setting achievable goals and attaining them provides a sense of accomplishment and pride.
- Boost self-esteem. The positive side effects of going to the gym include shedding weight, toning muscles and having higher energy levels. Physical activity helps to build a healthier, stronger version of you.
- Boost feel-good hormones. It’s a fact. Working out releases feel-good endorphins (ever heard of a “runner’s high”?) and reduces stress.
Types of Recreational Activities We Offer
Join in the fun! Beachway currently offers the following recreational therapy activities:
- Golf – practice your swing at the driving range and have some fun with mini golf.
- Ice and roller skating.
- Weekly trips to the movie theater.
- Trips to the local nature center to enjoy the great outdoors.
- Picnics at local parks and beaches.
- Yoga classes.
- Deep-sea fishing.
- Equine therapy at a local horse ranch.
Call Beachway Today
Do you have questions or suggestions about our recreational therapy activities? Are you interested in joining us for our next outing? We’d love to hear from you. The experts at Beachway Therapy Center are always available. Call 877-284-0353 to speak to someone now.