The decision to attend any drug treatment program, whether it’s inpatient or outpatient is a crucial first step towards recovery. There is a misconception about outpatient drug treatment in that it’s “not as effective” as an inpatient program.
The reality is that not everyone is suited for an outpatient drug treatment and therefore may not find success in it. Let’s delve deeper into who is ideally suited to an outpatient program, and what you can expect.
Who Should Attend Outpatient Drug Treatment?
Outpatient drug treatment is a program offered at a medical clinic or detox center. Patients continue to live at home and go about their day-to-day lives while attending treatment sessions which can occur between once a week to daily, depending on the intensity required. Many people choose an outpatient program because they can’t commit to a 30 to 90 day stay at a rehab facility for reasons concerning school, work or family.
You should attend an outpatient drug treatment program if:
- You have a willingness and desire to commit to a treatment program while balancing your normal life.
- You have a mild to moderate drug addiction problem.
What Can I Expect During Outpatient Drug Treatment?
The treatment you receive at an outpatient program is very similar to the treatment you would receive at an inpatient facility with regards to group therapy and counseling sessions. During these sessions, you’ll:
- Identify the root causes of your drug addiction.
- Diagnose any accompanying mental or physical illnesses.
- Heal from past childhood traumas or traumatic events that may be triggering drug abuse.
- Learn about various environmental, emotional or societal triggers that affect your drug abuse and some effective coping mechanisms.
- Develop healthier eating and exercise habits and more positive methods of managing daily stress.
- Find solace and support in the company of others who have shared similar experiences.
Before you’re admitted to an outpatient drug treatment program, you may need to attend a medical detox first. Recommendations are made during your initial assessment and screening while Beachway therapists create a personalized plan for you.
Benefits of Outpatient Treatment
- Less costly as you don’t need to pay for the costs of staying at a facility.
- Private — nobody needs to find out about your drug problem; your information is kept confidential.
- You can continue to live your normal day-to-day life with minimal disruption.
One of the most important components of any drug or alcohol treatment program is continued aftercare. Beachway’s comprehensive aftercare program ensures you continue to get lifelong support to help you maintain a healthier and more productive lifestyle. Call us at 877-284-0353 or visit our contact page to learn more about our leading holistic treatment programs.