Skip to content

Toll Free. Privacy Guaranteed. No commitment.

Explore our Unique Clinical Programming!

Contact Us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


How To Commit Someone To Alcohol Rehab

Advice on Alcohol Rehab Interventions

You are not alone. Watching someone struggle with alcohol addiction can be heartbreaking, but many families and friends feel powerless against how alcohol controls their loved one’s life. You certainly don’t have to sit idly by, though, and there are several things you can do to attempt to assist someone caught in addiction. When considering committing someone to alcohol rehab, consider first:

What Should You Do When A Loved One Needs Rehab?

Watching a loved one struggle with addiction is heartbreaking, but there are steps you can take to help. Consider these actions:

  1. Talk Calmly: Have a calm conversation about their addiction.
  2. Encourage Help: Urge them to seek professional treatment.
  3. Offer Assistance: Drive them to a treatment facility or help them explore options.


For more support, call us at 877-284-0353.


In cases where a person refuses help, 36 states provide legal ways to commit a loved one to inpatient alcohol rehab.

What Are the Steps for Court-Ordered Commitment to Inpatient Alcohol Treatment?

Wondering how to commit someone over 18 to alcohol rehab? While parents can make rehab decisions for minors, only official entities can order commitment for adults. There are two common ways to achieve involuntary commitment orders.

  1. Court Petition: Families can petition the court for an emergency order. The court, with input from psychiatrists and substance abuse counselors, assesses several factors:
    • Lack of control over actions
    • Daily or highly regular alcohol use
    • Physical or mental health problems caused by alcohol abuse
    • Threats to health and safety
  2. Criminal Charges: Judges may order rehab as part of sentencing.

Seeking involuntary commitment is challenging. Consult with professionals and explore all options. Contact our admissions counselors for more information.

What States Allow Involuntary Commitment for Alcohol Addiction Treatment?

According to the National Alliance for Model State Drug Laws, you can seek a court-ordered commitment of a person for alcohol rehab in the following states:

    • Alaska
    • California
    • Washington
    • Montana
    • Colorado
    • North Dakota
    • South Dakota
    • Nebraska
    • Kansas
    • Oregon
    • Texas
    • Louisiana
    • Arkansas
    • Missouri
    • Iowa
    • Minnesota
    • Wisconsin
    • Michigan
    • Indiana
    • Ohio
    • Kentucky
    • Tennessee
    • Mississippi
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • South Carolina
    • North Carolina
    • Virginia
    • West Virginia
    • Delaware
    • Pennsylvania
    • Connecticut
    • Massachusettes
    • Maine
    • Alaska
    • Hawaii