Choosing the Right Program
Because substance abuse treatment success varies depending on a number of underlying causes, including the type of substance used and the presence of co-occurring disorders, you’ll want to find a treatment program that addresses your specific needs and provides the programs that will work best for you.
Choosing the right drug addiction treatment center and program is one of the most important decisions you’ll make as part of your recovery process, and can make the difference between a successful and an unsuccessful recovery.
Types of Drug Addiction Treatment Programs
There are many types of drug addiction treatment programs that address different types or degrees of addiction or take different general approaches to treatment. Some common types of drug addiction treatment programs include long-term residential treatment, short-term residential treatment, individualized drug counseling, and group counseling.
When a person suffers from both mental health issues and addiction, this is known as a dual diagnosis. Dual diagnosis treatment programs are the most effective in these cases because they seek to address both the substance use disorder and the mental health disorder. Some specific forms of treatment often associated with a dual diagnosis and provided by our mental health professionals include:
- Cognitive behavior therapy. Cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) is a form of talking therapy focused on helping you see the world and how you behave in it clearly and accurately. It focuses on cognitive restructuring and coping skills.
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing. Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) is a technique shown to produce positive results in the treatment of Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It can also help individuals suffering from disturbing memories or thoughts, as well as other psychological disturbances. EMDR has even been shown to be effective in substance abuse and addiction treatment. When facing addiction, a treatment plan can incorporate EMDR to address underlying trauma.
- Neurotherapy. Neurotherapy involves gathering data about brain activity to help treatment providers better understand what could be leading to behaviors or symptoms. Because it’s based on biofeedback, it’s sometimes called neurofeedback (NFB).
- Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) treats drug and alcohol dependency by reversing negative, irrational thoughts and emotions that lead to addictive behaviors. REBT works to help individuals unlearn conditioned habits, including using drugs and alcohol.
- Solution-focused therapy. With solution-focused therapy, individuals focus on their personal strengths and develop sustainable strategies to accomplish goals. This therapy can lead to patients finding resolutions and making positive changes more quickly than other treatments based on pathology and past life events.
- Motivational interviewing. Motivational interviewing (MI) empowers a person suffering from addiction or substance abuse to accept recovery and regain control over their lives. MI is a collaborative process that helps individuals determine which behaviors they need to change to succeed with a treatment plan.
Our Drug Addiction Treatment Center
It’s one thing for a rehab center to recognize that personalized care can be the single greatest factor in ensuring a successful recovery. It’s another thing to find a rehab center that can provide a wealth of treatment options while helping you discover the approach that’s best for you.
At Beachway Therapy Center, we use a holistic treatment approach in the dual diagnosis healing process. This treatment method is known to heal a patient’s mind, body, and soul through unique therapy treatments, nutritional counseling, mindfulness, and more.
Our treatment plans are designed to meet each patient’s unique needs while considering their interests and physical capabilities. Some of our most popular therapies include equine therapy, art and drama therapy, faith-based healing, nutritional counseling, and more.
The Most Important Factors in Recovery from Drug Addiction
One of the most important factors in drug addiction recovery is recognizing when addiction and mental health disorders are both present. Failing to treat an underlying mental health disorder that may be contributing to addiction will make it extremely difficult to achieve and maintain a successful recovery.
Dual diagnosis refers to when a person struggling with substance abuse and addiction also suffers from a co-occurring mental disorder, such as anxiety, bipolar disorder, PTSD, and clinical and major depression. As we’ve seen, the most effective treatment plans for comorbid disorders will focus on addressing both the substance use disorder and the mental health disorder. For example, people with depression or struggling with signs of depression, such as feelings of loneliness, helplessness, self-loathing, or suicidal thoughts, may turn to alcohol or drugs to cope. Depression treatment is one of the many programs offered within our dual diagnosis treatment plan. Dual diagnosis treatment can help these individuals by treating their symptoms of depression with medications and psychotherapy while simultaneously treating their addiction with psychotherapy.
It can also be extremely helpful to a person’s drug addiction recovery when their family participates and provides support. A family recovery program that actively centers the family in the recovery process can be an invaluable tool, helping to ensure a lasting recovery.
Finally, aftercare can also be an important factor in making your recovery last. Once a person has completed an inpatient treatment program, continued aftercare is designed to help keep them on track. A well-structured aftercare program provides individuals with skills and strategies that will help them re-enter normal life while avoiding relapse.
Learn More About Drug Addiction Treatment at Beachway
Choosing the right drug addiction treatment center can feel like an overwhelming decision, but it doesn’t need to. Understanding the different types of drug addiction programs and treatment options that exist can help you grasp how your addiction is impacting your life, and it can also help you decide which path to drug addiction recovery may be best for you.
At Beachway, our highly trained and experienced therapists are qualified to address the physical and mental symptoms of a dual diagnosis patient to facilitate a successful recovery plan, and our holistic treatment approach aims to heal a patient’s mind, body, and soul through unique therapy treatments, nutritional counseling, mindfulness, inpatient or outpatient treatment programs, and more. If you or a loved one are ready to start your healing journey, contact us today.