What to Expect During Rehab and Detox
Your doctor may recommend detoxification as a necessary first step towards overcoming an alcohol or drug addiction. The main goal of detox is a physical one: to rid your body of any traces of alcohol or drugs. This involves medication to alleviate withdrawal symptoms, if necessary. The length of a detox treatment varies and depends on the severity of your drug or alcohol dependence.
Detox alone may not be enough to ensure a long-term recovery. A successful long-term recovery also involves addressing any underlying psychological problems. For alcohol addiction, the Alcoholics Anonymous 12-step program is used to help avoid relapse after treatment.
Counselors and therapists are available to discuss personal issues and develop an individualized recovery plan. At Beachway Therapy Center, inpatient treatment focuses on:
- Building self-esteem
- Understanding how family dynamics play a role in addictions
- Identifying trigger points
- Managing impulses and negative emotions
- Developing a plan to avoid relapse
At this stage, you will be either back at home or a sober-living home. Your treatment does not stop once you walk out the clinic’s doors. You will receive weekly group therapy sessions as well as one-on-one sessions and regular drug or alcohol testing. Other support services include resume help and job-seeking skills workshops.
Get Familiar with Clinic Rules and Expectations
Every detox clinic has different rules and expectations. Alleviate fear of the unknown by asking questions (the more, the better!). Here are a few questions you may have:
- What is a typical day like at the clinic?
- Will I be on a special diet?
- Who will be helping me?
- Are my friends and family allowed to visit me?
- Can I call my friends and family?
- Are there any side effects of medications? What are they?
- What items am I allowed to bring to the detox center?
- How long can I expect to be here?
Once you have a better understanding of what to expect, fear of the unknown won’t be an issue, and you can feel comfortable entering the new environment.
Be Positive and Patient
Going into rehab with a positive attitude is essential to getting the most out of your detox experience and maintaining a healthy outlook on life. Don’t get discouraged if results aren’t seen right away. As Jean-Jacques Rousseau once said, “Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.”
Educate yourself. Here are a few websites to check out:
- NCADD – National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence
- SAMHSA – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Throughout the process, remember that you are doing this to reclaim your life, health, and relationships. Sometimes, that is all the mental preparation you’ll need. For more information about Beachway Therapy Center’s detox program, contact us at 877-284-0353.