You’ve decided to make the big step from home to an inpatient rehab to get help for substance abuse. You may feel nervous or afraid of being away from home and perhaps worried about what to expect. Most inpatient programs last between 30 to 90 days. To help you get through the first day and off to a strong start, here’s a list of things to expect.
What to Expect on Day One
- Paperwork and questions. While you may have already filled out paperwork prior to coming to rehab, there are always a few forms to fill out once you’re there. Your counselor or therapist will also want an accurate and detailed medical and personal history completed, so be prepared for some questions. You may be asked about your drug or alcohol use, your family situation and past illnesses and medications. This is done so the staff can get a clear picture of who you are and then make a personalized plan to help you recover.
- A tour and meet-and-greet. On the first day, you can expect to meet your main therapist and counselor, as well as any medical staff who’ll be looking after you. You’ll get a tour of the facilities to help you get settled in.
- A search of your belongings. While this may seem intrusive, try not to take it personally. A search is performed for all new patients to ensure the safety of everyone.
- Going over rules and expectations. House rules ensure everyone is on the same page and knows what is expected of them. Rules are in place to help you get the most out of your rehab experience.
Going to inpatient rehab can be an emotional experience for many people. You may encounter a range of emotions from anxiety to sadness to homesickness, or even resentment for being there. Others may feel more positive emotions such as a sense of relief.
How to Prepare Yourself
- Jot down your medical history, or names of medical drugs you’ve used in the past.
- Bring any medications you currently use along with information about the proper dosage amount.
- Make a list of any questions you may have.
- Bring your insurance information. While you may have already provided your insurance details, it’s always a good idea to bring it along just in case.
The Beachway Promise
One of the fundamental guiding principles at Beachway Therapy Center is to provide dedicated personalized care to all patients. We do this by intentionally keeping the number of inpatients small. Only 40 patients are admitted to our inpatient program at any given time to ensure privacy and allow therapists to dedicate adequate time to all patients.
All patients staying at our facility receive dedicated 24-hour medical supervision, full meals and comfortable accommodations, as well as access to our wide range of holistic healing therapies.
Are you or a loved one ready to begin your rehab journey? Call us today at 877-284-0353.